View From the Eagles Nest

Matthew 23;24....Luke 13;34.... The joys and blessings of a fat chick in a skinny world. Faith for the journey, hope for the future, the beauty of nature, wilderness roads, life in general, family, the past and present, from the memory of a country girl stuck in the big city...SEX...now that I have your attention visit my blog...

My Photo
Name:
Location: midwest, United States

I'm a follower of Jesus...I Love the Lord!Iam a artist,love to write,I have two grown daughters,4 grand childern.I enjoy traveling.this is my blog and I say what I think.if you dont agree thats fine.you dont have to read it.sometimes I deal with so much crap,I feel like a farmer.check out my new blog "willow in the mist."

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

alittle about sandhill cranes.


I better explain alittle about these birds for those who have never seen them before.
{Grus canadenis
}
description.34-48"(86-122Cm.)w.6,8"(2 m.)
very tall,with long neck and long legs.
largely gray,with red forehead.
Immature browner,no red on head.
plumage often appears rusty because of iron stains from the water of the tundra ponds.
voice;a loud,rattling Kar-r-r-r-o-o-o.
habitat;large freshwater marshes,prairie ponds,and marshytundra;also on praires and grainfields during migration and in winter.
nesting;2 buff eggs,spotted with brown,in a large mound of grass and aquartic plants in undisturbed marsh.
range;breeds from siberia and alaska east across the arctic canada to hudson bay,and south to western ontario,with isolated population in the rocky mountains,northern prairies,and great lakes region,and in mississippi,georgia,florida.winters in californa,s central valley,and across southern states from arizona to florida,also in cuba.


the mating dance of the sandhill crane is spectacular.facing each other,members of a pair leap into the air with wings extended and feet thrown forward.then they bow to each other and repeat the performance,uttering loud croaking calls.courting birds also run about with their wings outstretched and toss tufts of grass in the air.
Now you know what I mean when I say some sandhills were in the fields ..
I have seen them do their dance and it is awesome.they do it so well.and they sound so happy.its because they have found a mate.and they will raise a family.and most likely year after year they will be together.birds usely do stay together for life.
they arent like humans.they stick together...

well the storm clouds moved in today.and two good times we recieved some much needed rain.hope everyone around here got some.my step mom said they really need it.their garden is in need of rain bad.and some of the corn near Anna,s is looking bad,when the leaves get real pointy at the ends, that is not a good sign.and some isnt even knee high.it should be knee high by the the 4th of july.if not its a very unhappy farmer.I did some of my writing in my cook book today.and wasnt going to post.but when I checked to see if anyone had stopped by I figured I better write about the sandhills.so here is the post.for today.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
have a great week and God bless...
thanks for stopping...

Psalm 16;1-2.save me,O God,because I have come to you for refuge.I said to him,You are my Lord;I have no other help but your,s.

when we put our trust in the Lord he leads us.he shows us the path we should take.he pertect,s us and shows us how to chose what is best..He is faithful and kind.and willing to lead us.he is a friend who sticks closer then a brother.and we can trust him with our lives.
bad things some times happen to good people.God does not send the bad,he gets us out of it.

8 Comments:

Blogger KG Finfrock said...

Thanks for the bird lesson. I can only imagine the beauty of watching these birds perform. How blessed you are to be able to have access to so much of God's nature.

6:26 PM  
Blogger little things said...

Oh, how interesting! I hope to see some sandhills some day.
It is very interesting to me how birds can mate for life, yet we humans go through such agony over the process.
I did read that although certain birds mate for life, they have been known to cheat on each other too!
Even the females will stray, and their mated male will raise the young as his own...

9:17 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

thanks for stopping girls.

as far as I have heard geese mate for life and if they lose a mate they usely stay alone.but who knows every thing in this world is getting screwed up.so who knows...
have a nice weekend.

10:15 PM  
Blogger audrey` said...

Hi Leann
Thanks for teaching us on the birds =)
Have a very blessed weekend.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Leann ~~ That was so very interesting to learn about the sandhill cranes. They look nice and their mating dance sounds great. Thank you for going to the trouble to tell us about them. Hope you are feeling OK and not too darn hot.
Yes we are in the middle of Winter herem so expect it to be cold. I
Have tried nasturtium leaves in a salad before.Glad you liked the Angel item. Keep well and cool,Take care, Love, Merle.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Thanks Leann for ther interesting post. I saw Sandhill Cranes on tv once and was fascinated with their dance. Isn't it interesting that even some birds and animals are more devoted to their mates than humans are?

11:50 AM  
Blogger little things said...

Mountain Mama, your question is a great one....why do animals seem more devoted to their mates than humans?

I was fascinated to read about the Booby on the Galapagos Islands. They mate for life, even though they spend most of their time at sea. After months away, they will return to the mating spot and wait for their one mate.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

Hi Audrey;thanks for stopping.have a great week.

Merle;its going to be a hot one here for a few days.if I could Id send you some of the heat.God bless.

mountain mama;thanks for stopping.have a great week.

its the little things;is that the blue foot booby?or the common booby?I have seen story,s about them to.they are so cool.have a great week.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home